After an informative Brightmore University Lecture on the history of the Battleship NC, presented by Richard Henderson, a volunteer speaker for the Friends of the Battleship, the residents of Brightmore were more than excited to walk aboard this amazing ship! Built in 1937, the Battleship NC was first of 10 battleships to join the American fleet in WWII. Approximately 3,000 military worked this ship during WWII. The Save Our Ship (SOS) campaign was what brought the battleship to Wilmington NC. The Battleship arrived on October 2, 1961. She was dedicated on April 29, 1962, as the State’s memorial to its World War II veterans and the 11,000 North Carolinians who died during the war. Many of our residents have never set foot on the Battleship NC, so this gave many the opportunity to check this majestic ship off their bucket list. They enjoyed walking the ship and the Veteran Memorial Walkway while reading all the history plaques and searching for Charlie and Charlene, the ships two alligators, but today we did not spot them. Maybe next visit!